Smothers Theatre Technical Information
Table of Contents
Location: Smothers Theatre is located on the Pepperdine Campus at the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Malibu Canyon Road. From Pacific Coast Highway, turn north on Malibu Canyon Road to the first traffic light, Seaver Drive, turn left and enter the campus. From the Ventura Freeway ( U.S. 101) exit at Las Virgenes Road, Malibu Canyon. Go south on Las Virgenes (which turns into Malibu Canyon Road) aprox. 10 miles to Seaver Drive. Turn right on Seaver Drive and enter the campus. Start up the hill, and at the information booth ask for directions to the theatre. The theatre is in the Ahmanson Fine Arts Complex, facing the main parking lot.
A. Green Room:
- One Green Room available at stage level off stage right.
- Located up the stairs in the back of the auditorium.
C. Rehearsal Rooms:
- Helen E. Lindhurst Theatre is a "flexible black box" space and is often used as a rehearsal room. It is located just down the hall from Smothers Theatre with access to the scene shop through the loading door. One of the walls of the theatre is mirrored with a ballet bar running across it. The mirror and bar can be covered by a black curtain attached to the wall. *Subject to availability; not a guarantee; separate fees apply.
- Minimum crew is three people, with an additional two at the technical production manager's discretion.
- Eating and drinking is prohibited in both the theatre and on the stage. Smoking is allowed only in designated areas on campus.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on all parts of the Pepperdine University campus, including in the theatre dressing rooms.
- No alterations can be made to the theatre seating at any time. Fire exits and general house entrances must remain clear at all times. Standing Room is prohibited for any reason in the theatres.
- The following equiPMent may not be moved from their permanent position: drapes and soft goods, lighting instruments and follow spots, sound equiPMent, film screen, furniture, and dressing room equiPMent.
- The rental day does not start before 8 a.m. and must end by midnight. A rental day is defined as a 10 out of 12 hour day (including 2 one-hour meal breaks). Any time after 12 hours will be assessed at the rate of $50 an hour, plus labor.
- There is a midnight curfew for all load-ins and rehearsals, meaning that the building must be completely clear by 12 a.m. The only exceptions to curfew are post-show strikes and occasional load-ins delayed by a prior event and then only by prior arrangement with the CFA Technical Production Manager.
- All CFA BOH crew have a four hour minimum call.
- All CFA crew require a one-hour meal break after every five continuous hours of work. If required to work beyond five hours, all crew are paid at double their regular rate for all time over five hours until a one-hour break is received. Please plan your load-in, rehearsals, and performances with this in mind. The theatre will be locked during this break and no one will be allowed into the venue until the BOH staff returns.
- All CFA crew will be paid one and a half times their regular hourly rate for all hours worked over 40 hours in one week and all hours over 8 hours in one day. Double-time takes affect over 12 hours in one day, and if the rental extends to seven days of the work week, anything on the seventh day (Sunday) will start at time and a half.
- Note that CFA does not have access to a scene shop; therefore, painting and repairs must take place either on stage or outside of the building. All chemicals or paints brought in the Center for the Arts must be accompanied by Material Safety Data Sheets, which includes cleaning fluids, paints, hazer fluids, and all other chemicals. The tenant is responsible for the removal of all chemicals and paints from the facilities at their load-out time. Failure to do so will result in Hazardous Materials Fees, which will be charged for the disposal of any chemicals or paint. (For more information on how to find Material Safety Data Sheets, or MSDS, please see www.mdsdonline.com.)
- The stage floor and walls may not be painted. Accepted stage screws and nails may be used in the stage floor. Any hole may be plugged by Tenant to the satisfaction of the Technical Production Manager. Damage to the stage floor or wall will be billed to Tenant for all expenses incurred.
- Open flames, including hand held candles, are not permitted in the theatre. Firearms, live explosives, and lasers also require prior notice and approval.
- Fire laws require that when an audience is in attendance, there will be no cables, tripods, equiPMent, or obstructions of any kind in the audience seating area, aisles, exit doors, and hallways. TV cable from production vans to camera platforms must be taped down and approved by the Technical Production Manager.
- There is no loading dock. Load-In is at stage level through the scene shop at the rear of the building. It is 29 ft. deep and 23 ft. wide.
- The loading door is 17'6"h. x 12'w. and opens into the scene shop behind the stage. There is direct access from the shop to the stage.
- There are two stage doors located stage right and stage left 7 ft. high and 33 in. wide.
- Genie Lift (25' platform height) available.
- Scissor lift available.
- 2 A-frame ladders max. 18' available.
- Assortment of 4', 6', 8', 10' step ladders available.
- The auditorium has one floor, American-style seating, 448 capacity in 15 rows, with the option of adding additional seating for approx. 50 in the orchestra pit when lowered to auditorium level. The auditorium is accessible to the handicapped.
B. Theatre Dimensions:
- 36' deep.
- 42' wide x 20'high
- Adjustable portal upstage of the proscenium on line #2 capable of closing in the opening to a minimum of 16' high and 36' wide. Normal opening is 18'5" high x 41'6" wide.
- Full length of theatre: 100'
- Full length of stage: 76' wide
- Stage edge to main curtain line: 5'3"
- Stage edge to Speakers' curtain: 13'3"
- Stage edge to mid curtain: 16'3"
- Stage edge to full black: 30'7"
- Stage edge to cyclorama: 33'3"
- Main curtain to cyclorama: 28'3"
- Stage edge to back wall: 36'0"
- Stage edge to back wall with pit raised: 46'8"
- Curtain line to back wall: 30'7"
- Wing space stage left: 19'0"
- Wing space stage right: 13'0"
- Height from stage floor to auditorium floor: 3'0"
- Side tabs trim to floor: 17'6"; ladders drop 4' from pipe
- Front of pit to first row: 3'5"
- Front of stage to first row: 14'
- Distance between seats: 1.5'
- Proscenium to back of theatre: 69'
- Front of pit to back of theatre: 55'
- Front of stage to back of theatre: 65'
C. Stage Floor:
- The stage floor is covered with ¼" tempered masonite.
- It exceeds AGMA minimum resiliency requirements.
- The floor is painted matte black.
D. House Draperies:
- Legs & borders:
- 4 black borders (velour) 8' h. x 60' w. ea.
- 3 pair black legs (velour) 28' h. x 13'6" w. ea.
- 3 pair black legs (velour) 26' h. x 6' w. ea.
- House Curtain: Grey Velour, 75% fullness, fly or draw, lined. Line #1. Two light specials can be used as curtain warmers with a variety of color options.
- Full Black: 28' h. x 57' w.
- Mid Black: 23'9" h. x 41' w.
- Speakers' Curtain: 23'10" h. x 54' w. Black velour, 50% fullness, fly or draw, unlined. Line #9.
- Cyclorama: 1 white cyclorama, flat, 28' h. x 60' w. on line #31.
- Scrim: 1 black scrim – 30'2"' h. x 60' w.
- 4 acoustic curtains running the length of the audience, retractable
- 1 proscenium acoustic curtain, retractable
NOTE: All legs & borders are hung flat, with no fullness.
E. Line Set Data:
- Counterweight; single purchase; 28 lines, 4 electrics
- Working Height of Battens:
- Low trim of all battens: 3'0" above stage floor
- High trim: variable for each pipe due to building architecture
- Pipe extensions
- Lines 1 thru 16: 4'0" each end
- Arbor Capacity:
- 1200 lb arbor max
- Weights: full = 28 lb.; half = 13 lb.
- Winch Capacity:
- Winch available for hanging very heavy loads. 1200 lb max.
- Rigging Schedule: E-mail Tech Production Manager for current file.
- Loading Gallery:
- Locking Rail located at Stage Right at stage level
- Loading Rail located at Stage Right in the stage grid
E-mail Tech Production Manager for current file.
A. Control Console:
- Ion 2000 with touchscreen
- Location: in upper center booth at rear of auditorium
B. Instruments Inventory: E-mail Tech Production Manager for current file.
C. Follow Spots
- 2 Source Four Follow Spots in the 2nd and 3rd beam
- 2 Lycian Midget Spotlights in the booth spot rooms
D. Lighting Gels:
- Mostly Rosco gels with an average amount of Lee and a small amount of Gam
- Berkley Colortran Far Cyc — 6 assembled units with a four color mix combination on the fourth electric providing complete coverage of the cyclorama. 1.5k with a 16 in. gel frame for each.
- Ground Rows — 10 fixtures 8 ft. in length. Each fixture is composed of 4 circuits, 16 300W bulbs, and a standard Source 4 size gel frame.
- 16 inch mirror ball with rotating motor
- ProFusion Hazer uses Diffusion Juice.
NOTE: Renter must supply juice for hazer
- Type: SCR; ETC Sensor dimmers
- Connection: Stage Pin
- Number: 252
- Wattage: 2.4k ea.
- Patching: Soft-patching at console. Dimmer-per-circuit.
G. Backstage Electrical Service:
- House-light control transferable to stage left or sound booth.
- NO Company Switch. 250a aux. power available @ stage right. Bare wire connect: three-phase, five-wire.
- Receptacles are all 3-wire, 20amp. pin connectors.
H. Lighting Positions:
- First Beam
- Distance from proscenium – 8'6"
- Height above stage level – 26'0"
- Number of circuits – 20; 10 twist lock
- Second Beam
- Distance from proscenium – 19'3"
- Height above stage level – 26'0"
- Diagonal distance from pipe to plaster line at floor – 32'0"
- Number of circuits – 30
- Third Beam
- Distance from proscenium – 34'9"
- Height above stage level – 26'9"
- Diagonal distance from pipe to plaster line at floor – 43'6"
- Number of circuits: 18
- Balcony Rail
- Location – above Row “O"
- Distance from proscenium – 62'6"
- Distance from front of pit: 50'
- Distance from front of stage: 60'
- Height above last row of seats – 7'6"
- Number of circuits – 3 (borrowed from 3 rd Beam)
- Holds 10-12 instruments
- Box Booms
- Three per side; near, medium and far throw
Near position holds 4 instruments
Medium position holds 6 instruments
Far position holds 4 instruments
- Number of circuits – 12 per side
- Rear Booth
- Location – at rear and above auditorium – left, center & right booths
- Distance from booths to edge of stage – 64'0"
- Number of circuits – 3 per booth, 9 total
- Onstage Lighting Positions:
- Approximate length of electrics: 56'
- Approximate height of electrics: 21'
- Length from first to second electric: 7'5"
- Length from second to third electric: 4'9"
- Length from third to fourth electric: 5'10"
- Length from fourth electric to cyclorama: 7'3"
- First Electric Pipe
- Distance upstage of proscenium – 3'5"
- Line #3 (plus Line #4 married to #3 for hi-sides)
- Number of circuits – 30; 6 non dims
- Second Electric Pipe
- Distance upstage of proscenium – 10'8"
- Line #11
- Number of circuits – 20
- Third Electric Pipe
- Distance upstage of proscenium – 15'4"
- Line #17
- Number of circuits – 15; 6 non dims
- Fourth Electric Pipe
- Distance upstage of proscenium – 21'4"
- Line #23
- Number of circuits – 32
- Four-A Electric Pipe
- Distance upstage of proscenium – 22'3"
- Line #24 (married to Line #23)
- Number of circuits – none (circuit from Line #23)
- Four-B Electric Pipe
- Distance upstage of proscenium – 23'6"
- Line #25 (Married to Line #23)
- Number of circuits – none (circuit from line #23)
- Function – Cyc lights
- Floor Pockets
- 3 SL
- DS/CS: 3 circuits on each
- US: 4 circuits
- 3 SR
- DS/CS: 3 circuits on each
- US: 4 circuits
- 4 Up Center
- 4 circuits on each
- Number of circuits – 56 including walls and alcoves
- Number of Circuits in lofts: 12 SL loft; 12 SR loft
- Drop Box
- Location – drop from upstage catwalk on grid
- Number – 1
- Number of circuits – 4
I. Projection EquiPMent:
- Projection screen:
- 15'2" x 20'4" front projection screen on Line #10 LCD projector
- Can connect with DVD/VHS player
- Can connect with laptop computer
- Location: in rear booth
The mix position is located at house left behind the last row of seats approx. 56' from edge of stage.
- FOH Console
- Midas Heritage 1000: 36 mono / 4 stereo / 10 aux / 10 group / 10 VCA The mix position is located house left behind the last row of seats, approximately 65' from edge of the stage
- 2 EAW KF695e (Flown left and right, tri-amped)
- 2 Yamaha SW118IV (Mono Subs)
- 6 EAW LA212 (monitor wedges)
- 1 XTA DP448 Crossover 4-in, 8-out with delay and E.Q.
- FOH Processors
- 1 Yamaha SPX990 Multi-effects
- 1 Yamaha REV500 Reverb
- 2 Klark-Teknik DN360 dual graphic EQ
- 3 Ashley GQX3102 dual graphic EQ
- 1 Behringer Multicom Pro
- 1 Behringer Multigate Pro
- 1 Denon DN-D4500 Dual CD player
- Fostex CR500 CD recorder
- Wired Microphones/D.I.
- 8 Shure SM-58
- 6 Shure SM-57
- 1 Shure SM-91
- 2 Shure Beta-87
- 1 Shure Beta-52
- 4 Shure Beta-98
- 3 AKG 452
- 2 AKG C3000
- 2 AKG C2000 B
- 2 AKG 414
- 3 Neumann KMI 84
- 3 Audio Technica ATM 835b (shotgun)
- 4 Audio Technica ATM 853 (hanging choir)
- 4 Crown PCC 160
- 1 Electro Voice RE20
- 1 Countryman Type 85 FET Active D.I.
- 2 Whirlwind Director D.I.
- 6 Whirlwind IMP2 D.I.
- Wireless Microphones
- 4 channels Shure UHF-R wireless microphones (handheld or lavaliere)
- Due to the heavy schedule in Smothers, some equiPMent may not be available due to repair or other booking. Please discuss ALL sound needs with the House Engineer.
- All sound requests must be made NO LATER THAN one hour prior to show time (including feed for video).
- All input and output connections are XLR. If your equiPMent doesn't accept XLR connectors, please bring adaptors.
- Production Communications:
- Clear-Com headset communications available to all necessary stations. One channel.
NOTE: Clear-Com system IS NOT wireless
- Stage audio monitor to control booth and dressing rooms.
- Paging: NO backstage paging.
A. Orchestra Pit:
- Front to back at center: 10'8"
- Length of pit upstage: 36'
- Length of pit downstage: 17'5"
- Width: 36'0"
- Trim: The orchestra pit is on a Gala Spiral lift, and can be adjusted from a high trim at stage level to a low trim of 8'6" below stage level.
- Access: Hallway to dressing room corridor SR
- Pit Dimensions:
*Advanced notice required for all of the following:
- Steinway 10' Concert Grand piano available.
- Wenger Choral Shell:
- Wenger Choral Risers available.
- Wenger 4' x 8' (x 8", x 16", x 24", x 32") available (four @ each height)
- Music stands:
- Available with stand lights
- Conductor Podium:
- Available upon request.
- Available upon request.
- All standard dimensions available
- Dance Floor:
- Harlequin black/white (reversible) dance floor is available on a rental basis.
A. Dressing Rooms:
- Two Chorus dressing rooms located in hallway at stage level off stage right. A partition can be opened to create one large room if desired. Seating for 12 men and 12 women.
- Each has lighted mirrors and wardrobe racks.
- Each has an adjoining restroom with sinks, toilets and showers.
- Portable mirrors and tables are available.
B. Wardrobe Area:
- Ironing Board:
- Available upon request.
- Available upon request.
C. Quick Change Booths:
- Two portable quick-change booths are available stage right and stage left.