Smothers Theatre Technical Information
Table of Contents
Download Smothers General Information as a PDF HERE.
Download other Smothers documents HERE.
Location: Smothers Theatre is located on the Pepperdine Campus at the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and Malibu Canyon Road. From Pacific Coast Highway, turn north on Malibu Canyon Road to the first traffic light, Seaver Drive, turn left and enter the campus. From the Ventura Freeway ( U.S. 101) exit at Las Virgenes Road, Malibu Canyon. Go south on Las Virgenes (which turns into Malibu Canyon Road) aprox. 10 miles to Seaver Drive. Turn right on Seaver Drive and enter the campus. Start up the hill, and at the information booth ask for directions to the theatre. The theatre is in the Fine Arts Complex, facing the main parking lot.
A. Green Room:
- One Green Room available at stage level off stage right.
- Lighting Control, Projector Control, as well as two follow spots are located in the control booth in the back of the auditorium. Access to the booth is via a staircase in the back of the House Right Lobby Light Lock.
C. Rehearsal Rooms:
- Helen E. Lindhurst Theatre is a "flexible black box" space and is often used as a rehearsal room. It is located just down the hall from Smothers Theatre with access to the scene shop through the loading door. One of the walls of the theatre is mirrored with a ballet bar running across it. The mirror and bar can be covered by a black curtain attached to the wall. *Subject to availability; not a guarantee; separate fees apply.
- Minimum crew at all times is four personel, including a crew supervisor.
- All crew needs are at the discretion of the Technical Production Manager to assure a safe working environment.
- Eating and drinking is prohibited in house, stage, and offstage areas of the theatre. Smoking is allowed only in designated areas on campus.
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on all parts of the Pepperdine University campus, including in the theatre dressing rooms.
- No alterations can be made to the theatre seating at any time. Fire exits and general house entrances must remain clear at all times. Standing Room is prohibited for any reason in the theatre.
- All drapes, movie screen, and soft goods must remain in the house hang locations. Alterations and modifications to the CFA house lighting plot are at the discretion of the Technical Supervisor. Follow spots must remain in the booth. Dressing room furniture and equipment cannot be removed or rearranged at any time. The sound mixing position must remain in the designated location, back of house left.
- The rental day does not start before 8 a.m. and must end by midnight. A rental day is defined as a 10 out of 12 hour day (including 2 one-hour meal breaks). Any time after 12 hours will be assessed at the rate of $50 an hour, plus labor.
- There is a midnight curfew for all load-ins and rehearsals, meaning that the building must be completely clear by 12 a.m. The only exceptions to curfew are post-show strikes and occasional load-ins delayed by a prior event and then only by prior arrangement with the CFA Technical Production Manager.
- All CFA BOH crew have a four hour minimum call.
- All CFA crew require a one-hour meal break after every five continuous hours of work. If required to work beyond five hours, all crew are paid at double their regular rate for all time over five hours until a one-hour break is received. Please plan your load-in, rehearsals, and performances with this in mind. The theatre will be locked during this break and no one will be allowed into the venue until the BOH staff returns.
- All CFA crew will be paid one and a half times their regular hourly rate for all hours worked over 40 hours in one week and all hours over 8 hours in one day. Double-time takes affect over 12 hours in one day, and if the rental extends to seven days of the work week, anything on the seventh day (Sunday) will start at time and a half.
- Note that CFA does not have access to a scene shop; therefore, painting and repairs must take place either on stage or outside of the building. All chemicals or paints brought in the Center for the Arts must be accompanied by Material Safety Data Sheets, which includes cleaning fluids, paints, hazer fluids, and all other chemicals. The tenant is responsible for the removal of all chemicals and paints from the facilities at their load-out time. Failure to do so will result in Hazardous Materials Fees, which will be charged for the disposal of any chemicals or paint. (For more information on how to find Material Safety Data Sheets, or MSDS, please see www.mdsdonline.com.)
- The stage floor and walls may not be painted. Accepted stage screws and nails may be used in the stage floor. Any hole may be plugged by Tenant to the satisfaction of the Technical Production Manager. Damage to the stage floor or wall will be billed to Tenant for all expenses incurred.
- Open flames, including hand held candles, are not permitted in the theatre.
- Firearms, live explosives, and lasers require prior notice and approval.
- Fire laws require that there will be no cables, tripods, equipment, or obstructions of any kind in the audience seating area, aisles, exit doors, and hallways. TV cable from production vans to camera platforms must be taped down and approved by the Technical Production Manager.
- There is no loading dock. Load-In is at stage level through the scene shop at the rear of the building. It is 29 ft. deep and 23 ft. wide.
- The loading door is 17'6"h. x 12'w. and opens into the scene shop behind the stage. There is direct access from the shop to the stage.
- There are two stage doors located stage right and stage left 7 ft. high and 33 in. wide.
- Drivable JLG Platform Lift (19'5" platform height) available.
- Scissor lift available.
- 2 A-frame ladders max. 18' available.
- Assortment of 4', 6', 8', 10' step ladders available.
- The auditorium has one floor, American-style seating, 448 capacity in 15 rows, with the option of adding additional seating for approx. 50 in the orchestra pit when lowered to auditorium level. The auditorium is accessible to the handicapped.
B. Theatre Dimensions:
- 36' deep.
- 42' wide x 20'high
- Adjustable portal upstage of the proscenium on line #2 capable of closing in the opening to a minimum of 16' high and 36' wide. Normal opening is 18'5" high x 41'6" wide.
- Full length of theatre: 100'
- Full length of stage: 76' wide
- Stage edge to main curtain line: 5'3"
- Stage edge to Speakers' curtain: 14'6"
- Stage edge to mid curtain: 20'6"
- Stage edge to full black: 32'9"
- Stage edge to cyclorama: 34'6"
- Main curtain to cyclorama: 28'0"
- Stage edge to back wall: 36'6"
- Stage edge to back wall with pit raised: 46'8"
- Curtain line to back wall: 30'0"
- Wing space stage left: 8'6"
- Wing space stage right: 6'0"
- Height from stage floor to auditorium floor: 3'0"
- Side tabs trim to floor: 17'6"; ladders drop 4' from pipe
- Front of pit to first row: 3'5"
- Front of stage to first row: 14'
- Distance between seats: 1.5'
- Proscenium to back of theatre: 69'
- Front of pit to back of theatre: 55'
- Front of stage to back of theatre: 65'
- Orchestra Pit:
- Front to back at center: 10'8"
- Length of pit upstage: 36'
- Length of pit downstage: 17'5"
- Width: 36'0"
- Access: hallway to dressing room corridor SR
- Trim: the orchestra pit is on a Gala Spiral left and can be adjust to four different levels:
- Pit floor level with the stage door
- Pit floor level with house floor
- Pit floor 2.75" below house level (standard location for seating on pit)
- Pit floor 8'6" below stage level (standard location for use with orchestra)
- Pit Dimensions:
C. Stage Floor:
- The stage floor is covered with ¼" tempered masonite.
- It exceeds AGMA minimum resiliency requirements.
- The floor is painted matte black.
D. House Draperies:
- Legs & borders:
- 4 black borders (velour) 8' h. x 60' w. ea.
- 3 pair of legs in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd position are 28'H x 13'W
- 1 pair of legs in the 4th position are 30'H x 16'W
- 2 pair of legs in storage at 26'H x 6'W
- House Curtain: Grey Velour, 75% fullness, fly or draw, lined. Line #1. Two light specials can be used as curtain warmers with a variety of color options.
- Full Black: 4 panels at 28'H by 20'W for a stage look that is 28' h. x 57' w.
- Mid Black: 2 panels at 24'H x 22W for a stage look that is 23'9" h. x 41' w.
- Speakers' Curtain: 23'10" h. x 54' w. Black velour, 50% fullness, fly or draw, unlined. Line #10. (Cannot change location.)
- Cyclorama: 1 white cyclorama, flat, 28' h. x 60' w. on line #31.
- Scrim: 1 black scrim – 30'2"' h. x 60' w.
- 4 acoustic curtains running the length of the audience, retractable
- 1 proscenium acoustic curtain, retractable
NOTE: All legs and borders are hung flat, with no fullness. No soft goods can be moved from their rep location without prior approval from the Technical Production Supervisor.
E. Line Set Data:
- Counterweight; single purchase; 28 lines, 4 electrics
- Working Height of Battens:
- Low trim of all battens: 3'0" above stage floor
- High trim: variable for each pipe due to building architecture
- 54' long plus Pipe extensions
- Lines 1 thru 16: 4'0" each end
- Arbor Capacity:
- 1200 lb arbor max
- Weights: full = 28 lb.; half = 13 lb.
- Winch Capacity:
- Winch available for hanging very heavy loads. 900 lb max.
- Rigging Schedule: See documents below.
- Loading Gallery:
- Locking Rail located at Stage Right at stage level
- Loading Rail located at Stage Right in the stage grid
NOTE: NOT ALL line sets have the same max-out trim. Full stage drops can only go in a select number of positions. Consult the technical lineset schedule for out trim information. Download the Smothers Lineset Schedule HERE.
A. Control Console:
- ETC Ion 2000
- Location: in upper center booth at rear of auditorium
- ETC Net 3 RVI set up for tech table mid-house
- 7 @ 6" Fresnels
- 8 @ 1K Fresnels
- 4 @ VL 1000 Moving Light (NOTE: added cost to renter for use of moving lights)
- 11 @ ETC Source Four LED CYC Units
- 5 ETC Source Four ParBars (Sometimes used as CYC groundrow.)
- 55 @ ETC Source Four Pars (all with full lens kits - WFL/MFL/NSP/VSNP)
- 135 @ETC Source Four Bodies
- Barrel Selection:
- 2 @5 Degree
- 5 @10 Degree
- 35 @19 Degree
- 60 @26 Degree
- 83 @36 Degree
- 8 @50 Degree
- 10 @Boom Basses with 12' Pipe
NOTE: All ETC Source Four Fixtures are lamped at 575w.
C. Follow Spots
- 2 Lycian Midget Spotlights in the booth spot rooms
D. Moving Lights
- 4 VL 1000 Moving Lights that cannot be moved from their Standard Prep Plot Location.
- ETC Source Four LED CYC lights are used to light upstage CYC from above. CFA Standard House Plot does not include a groundrow.
NOTE: Renter will be billed for Moving Light use per day.
- SCR; ETC Sensor Dimmers
- All units and circuits are Stage Pin
- 250 Dimmers at 2.4k each
- Soft-patching at console: Dimmer-per-circuit
- 16 inch mirror ball with rotating motor
- DF-50 Hazer.
NOTE: Renter will be billed for hazer use per day.
G. Backstage Electrical Service:
- House-light control transferable to stage left or back of house left sound booth
- Company Switch location DSR.
- 250a aux. power. CAMLOK tails to connect: three-phase, five-wire. WYE
- Receptacles are all 3-wire, 20amp. pin connectors.
H. Lighting Positions:
- First Beam
- Distance from proscenium – 8'6"
- Height above stage level – 26'0"
- Number of circuits – 20
- Second Beam
- Distance from proscenium – 19'3"
- Height above stage level – 26'0"
- Diagonal distance from pipe to plaster line at floor – 32'0"
- Number of circuits – 30
- Third Beam
- Distance from proscenium – 34'9"
- Height above stage level – 26'9"
- Diagonal distance from pipe to plaster line at floor – 43'6"
- Number of circuits: 18
- Balcony Rail
- Location – above Row “O"
- Distance from proscenium – 62'6"
- Distance from front of pit: 50'
- Distance from front of stage: 60'
- Height above last row of seats – 7'6"
- Number of circuits – 4
- Holds 8 instruments
- Box Booms
- Three per side; near, medium and far throw
Near position holds 4 instruments
Medium position holds 6 instruments
Far position holds 4 instruments
- Number of circuits – 12 per side
- Rear Booth
- Location – at rear and above auditorium – left, center & right booths
- Distance from booths to edge of stage – 64'0"
- Number of circuits – 12 per side
- Onstage Lighting Positions:
- Approximate length of electrics: 60'
- Approximate height of electrics: 21'6"
- Length from first to second electric: 10'8"
- Length from second to third electric: 6'4"
- Length from third to fourth electric: 4'2"
- Length from fourth electric to cyclorama: 6'6"
- 1st Electric Pipe (married to 1a)
- Distance upstage of proscenium – 4'8"
- Line #4
- Number of circuits – 30; 4 non dims (2 used for mover power) (shared with 1a)
- 1A Electric Pipe (married to 1st)
- Line #5
- 6'2" US of Proscenium
- Number of circuits - 30; 6 non dims (shared with 1st)
- 2nd Electric Pipe
- Line #13
- 13'0" US of Proscenium
- Number of circuits – 20
- 3rd Electric Pipe
- Line #20
- 19'4" US of Proscenium
- Number of circuits – 15; 4 non dims (2 used for mover power)
- 4th Electric Pipe
- Line #24
- 23'6" US of Proscenium
- Number of circuits – 32 (4 dimmers use relay cards to power LED CYC lights)
- CYC Electric - all source four LED fixtures; allows circuits to be used on side tabs.
- Floor Pockets
- 3 SL
- DS/CS: 3 circuits on each
- US: 4 circuits
- 3 SR
- DS/CS: 3 circuits on each
- US: 4 circuits
- 4 Up Center
- 4 circuits on each
- Number of circuits – 56 including walls and alcoves
- Number of Circuits in lofts: 12 SL loft; 12 SR loft
- Drop Box
- Location – drop from upstage catwalk on grid
- Number – 1
- Number of circuits – 4
- Side Tabs
- SL and SR - Trim set by fly rail
- Number of circuits - 12 on each side (run from 4th electric)
I. Projection Equipment:
- Projection screen:
- 15'2" x 20'4" front projection screen on Line #9
- Panasonic PT-DZ10K
- 10,500 Lumen, 16:10 aspect native, full HD
- Long Throw Lens - ET-D75LE30 (standard CFA house lens)
- Short Throw Lens - ET-D75LE6
- Location: center light booth
- Seamless Switcher
- Dedicated Cat5 runs to Light Booth, FOH, Booth, DSR, Pit with selection of Cat5 VGA Extenders
- Renter must supply computer/PC and adapt to VGA. Renter must supply any adapters/cables required to connect to projector. CFA can provide a DVD player connected to projector for renter to use.
The mix position is located at house left behind the last row of seats approx. 56' from edge of stage. Position cannot be moved.
- FOH Console
- Midas Heritage 1000: 36 mono / 4 stereo / 10 aux / 10 group / 10 VCA The mix position is located house left behind the last row of seats, approximately 65' from edge of the stage
- 2 EAW KF695e (Flown left and right, tri-amped)
- 2 Yamaha SW118IV (Mono Subs)
- 8 EAW LA212 (monitor wedges)
- 1 XTA DP448 Crossover 4-in, 8-out with delay and E.Q.
- FOH Processors
- 3 Ashley GQX3102 dual graphic EQ (monitors)
- 1 Klark-Teknik DN360 dual graphic EQ (mains)
- 1 Ashley GQX3102 single graphic EQ (mono chan or other)
- 1 Yamaha SPX990 Multi-effects
- 2 Lexicon MX200 Dual Reverb Multi-effects
- 3 dbx 166 xl Comp/Limit/Gate (each unit 2 channels)
- 1 Behringer Multicom Pro (4 channel unit) (available)
- 1 Behringer Multigate Pro (4 channel unit) (available)
- 1 Denon DN-D4500 Dual CD player
- Fostex CR500 CD recorder
- Wired Microphones/D.I.
- 10 Shure SM-58
- 7 Shure SM-57
- 1 Shure SM-91
- 2 Shure Beta-87A
- 1 Shure Beta-52
- 6 Shure Beta-98
- 4 AKG 452
- 2 AKG C3000
- 2 AKG C2000 B
- 2 AKG C414 B-ULS
- 2 Neumann KMI 84
- 3 Audio Technica ATM 835b (shotgun)
- 7 Audio Technica ATM 853 (hanging choir)
- 6 Crown PCC 160
- 1 Electro Voice RE20
- 1 Countryman Type 85 FET Active D.I.
- 2 Whirlwind Director D.I.
- 6 Whirlwind IMP2 D.I.
- +several older mics not worth mentioning here
- Wireless Microphones
- Shure uHF-UC wireless microphones 6 @ handheld or 4 @ lavaliere
- Stage Tie-Lines
- 62 On Stage Lines
- 12 - DSR (1-12)
- 12 - DSL (13-24)
- 16 - PIT (25-40)
- 8 - USR Wall (41-48)
- 8 - USL Wall (49-56)
- 6 - DS Edge of Stage (57-62)
- Due to the heavy schedule in Smothers, some equipment may not be available due to repair or other booking. Please discuss ALL sound needs with the House Engineer.
- All sound requests must be made NO LATER THAN one hour prior to show time (including feed for video).
- All input and output connections are XLR. If your equiPMent doesn't accept XLR connectors, please bring adaptors.
- Production Communications:
- Clear-Com headset communications available to all necessary stations. One channel.
- Wireless Clear-Com CellCom system available in house (interfaces with wired com).
- Stage audio monitor to control booth and dressing rooms.
Advanced notice of no less than one month is required for all of the following:
- Steinway 10' Concert Grand piano available for onstage use only. (NOTE: Piano tuning fee will be charged to renter.)
- Wenger Choral Shell:
- Wenger Choral Risers available.
- Wenger 4' x 8' (x 8", x 16", x 24", x 32") available (four @ each height)
- Music stands:
- CFA does not supply or provide music stands.
- Conductor Podium:
- Available upon request.
- CFA does not supply or provide platforms.
- Dance Floor:
- Harlequin black/white (reversible) dance floor is available on a rental basis.
A. Dressing Rooms:
- Two Chorus dressing rooms located in hallway at stage level off stage right. A partition can be opened to create one large room if desired. Seating for 12 men and 12 women.
- Each has lighted mirrors and wardrobe racks.
- Each has an adjoining restroom with sinks and toilets. CFA does not provide use of showers for rental groups.
- Portable mirrors and tables are available.
B. Wardrobe Area:
- Ironing Board:
- CFA does not provide ironing boards.
- CFA does not provide steamers.
C. Quick Change Booths:
- Two portable quick-change booths are available stage right and stage left.
- First Floor Map
- Second Floor Map
- House Lighting Plot
- Lighting Magic Sheet, Channels, Dimmers and Cheat Sheet
- Ground Plot Linesets
- Lineset Schedule
- Seating Chart